Play Audio Clip Listen to audio clip.
Another lethal poisoning mystery hits us now that three American students were poisoned in Sri Lanka, and like in West Germany 70s and 80s, that’s only the tip of the iceberg.
Fox News Medical Aide Dr. Mitchell Leff joins FOX Report weekend host Katie Pavlich to discuss why we have such a difficult time detecting poisons and Omicron cases.
FOXNewsHealth.com: Here in the U.S. we’ve seen many cases of organophosphates on college campuses, but no Omicron. What’s that drug?
Dr. Mitchell Leff: Omicron is a small material manufactured by chemical plants in many different species. So, it’s not just the bacterium making it, it’s the bugs of all kinds that makes it. And so, what you’ve got in an Omicron case is a very rare bacterium that is attracted to certain toxics and it can digest that and release that.
FOXNewsHealth.com: So, why aren’t there as many cases reported as you would expect as a bacterium?
Dr. Leff: You’re talking about bacteria that basically metabolize a lethal dose to get a fatal dose, so it can cause the death of itself. We have other germs that aren’t that deadly that just become very, very seriously ill and their cells begin to fail and they can’t go on, so it’s really not so surprising that you’re going to have this happen in a lot of different places.
Watch the full interview:
Remember to tune in tomorrow to FOX Report at 7pm ET for Katie’s investigative report on lethally infected germs, and check out Leff’s latest book on the website called “Uncovering a Toxic Legacy!”